Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Every Which Way But Loose (1978)


Director: James Fargo

Starring: Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, Geoffrey Lewis, Bevery D'Angelo, Ruth Gordon, Manis (as Clyde)

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Clint Eastwood will turn you Every Which Way But Loose

Plot: Philo Beddoe is an easy-going trucker and a great fist-fighter. With two friends - Orville, who promotes prize-fights for him, and Clyde, the orangutan he won on a bet - he roams the San Fernando Valley in search of cold beer, country music and the occasional punch-up. But he falls for a dainty little country and western singer, who gives him the slip when she realizes he's getting too serious. Philo, Clyde and Orville set off in pursuit, pestered by bikers and two detectives seeking revenge.



My Rating: 6/10

Would I watch it again? Maybe in 25 more years when I've forgotten about it

I haven't seen this since I was a teenager in the 80s. I remember it being a good movie. I guess what I remember were the funny parts and not the shitty bits. EWWBL isn't that good of a movie. It's watchable for Eastwood, Lewis, Gordon (who's HYSTERICAL every time she opens her mouth) and Clyde, the orangutan. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that has to do with the biker gang or the two detectives is extremely cartoony, childish and not funny. I guess if you're in "that mood" it might work.

It's got some truly funny shit in there but the story bounces around and it feels like a bunch of ideas and meanderings more than a fully realized plot line sometimes. Not that that is a bad thing, but it's just OK so don't expect much if you haven't seen it. I am looking forward to seeing the sequel (which I recall not like as much as a teen) because it's got Eastwood fighting Badass William Smith at the end. I see that Sondra Locke is back. That's going to hurt...REAL...BAD. She's not a good actress and she should make out with a likeness of Clint every morning that she wakes up that she ever met him because otherwise she'd have never gotten any decent work. I feel sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment