Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fargo (1996)


Director: Joel Coen

Starring: William H. Macy, Frances McDorman, Steve Buscemi

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: A homespun murder story.

Plot: Jerry Lundegaard's inept crime falls apart due to his and his henchmen's bungling and the persistent police work of pregnant Marge Gunderson.



My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? Is that fella goin' crazy out 'dere down by tha lake?

Another slam-dunk by the Coens. I saw this in the theater way back when on a first date. Afterwards we were so gung-ho that we got liquored-up and had crazy sexy on top of a wood chipper. It was awesome. OK, so the whole wood chipper sex thing didn't happen until the third date but it was a memorable night seeing that film and it just so happened that my date was on the same dark black humor wavelength that I was. Too bad she turned out to be as crazy as Margot Kidder at Thanksgiving dinner forgetting her purse and all.

This film is flawless. The Coen brothers nailed every aspect. Fraces was amazing and nobody, and I MEAN nobody, plays unraveling sorry-ass bastard like Macy. Every time I watch it I feel like I'M the one who stole the money and fucked up. Fantastic performances all the way around. The score is magnificently underplayed and then there's the cinematography. Holy shit, Herb! Just look at this shot and tell me it doesn't do anything for you:


WOW! Great stuff. After seeing their latest, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007) I just had to watch this one again. It's a different kind of powerful than NCFOM but it's still a remarkable film that'll kick the pants off of most anything else that's happened since.

Ah, jeez.

No comments:

Post a Comment