Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Candyman (1992)


Director: Bernard Rose

Starring: Virginia Madsen, Tony Todd, Vanessa Williams

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: We Dare You To Say His Name Five Times!

Plot: An old tale says that if you say "candyman" five time whilst looking into a mirror, then "he" will appear behind you and cut you in two. The heroine of this story is writing a thesis on such tales. During her investigations, she encounters the "candyman".



My Rating: 6/10

Would I watch it again? Only if it's remade with Sammy Davis Jr.

The reputation of the movie as being a great cult horror film is huge. I was underwhelmed. I really liked the serious attempt at making a new horror villain that's unique but when it was all said and done, there wasn't that much original about it. And unless I missed something somewhere I failed to see exactly why the candyman was coming back after all of these years. I'm sure it's something simple but I must've been absent that day in school.

There's some great shots and effects throughout and it is entertaining. It just falls short of keeping me glued to the set. Now if Sammy Davis Jr were in this thing it'd be a sure-fire classic. Are the sequels any better? I'm not sure I want to find out. I've got crappy sequels to HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13TH and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment