Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Video Games: The Movie (2014)

Director: Jeremy Snead

Writer: Jeremy Snead

Composer: Craig Richey

Starring: Sean Astin, Zach Braff, Wil Wheaton, Chris Hardwick, Max Landis and tons of people in the VG industry

More info: IMDb

Plot: Learn how video games are made, marketed, and consumed by looking back at gaming history and culture through the eyes of game developers, publishers, and consumers.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  I doubt it.

As a fan of video games and having played them since the 70s, this was fun.  It's by no means complete and it was odd how many consoles weren't discussed like one of my childhood favorites, the Commodore 64 plus some of the systems pre NES that aren't the Atari 2600.  That's my biggest complaint.  For some that's probably enough to call bullshit.  I realize you can't cover everything in an hour and forty minutes but they could've at least spent a minute on each.  There's enough material that you could make a feature length documentary on every single console made.  I'd watch all of them.  Despite those oversights, I still enjoyed it.  At the very least it was a nostalgic trip and it's fun seeing some games I haven't played in decades.  You clearly can't get too deep into a vast industry that's been around for more than forty five years but it's good enough that you may find some enjoyment and not feel like your time was wasted...like, you know, playing video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment