Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Seven Dwarfs of Auschwitz (2013)

Director: Ursula Macfarlane

Starring: Warrwick Davis, Perla Ovitz

More info: IMDb

Plot: Warwick Davis presents the story of the Owicz family and their ordeal during WWII. From a successful musical act to being tortuously experimented on by Dr. Josef Mengele in a concentration camp. This story might have been lost to history if it weren't for the family's diminutive size, which made them both a novelty as well as an inspiration.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I'm only giving this a 5 because this documentary shed light on something of the Holocaust I was unaware of.  Otherwise I'd give it much less.  Why?  When watching a documentary I don't need to know how the narrator feels about the subject.  It's not Warrwick Davis's fault.  It's the filmmakers.  The subject is the Owicz family of seven dwarfs who were sent to Auschwiz to die.  Their ultimate fate is surprising to say the least. Far too much time is spent with Davis (serving as the narrator) as he journeys from one place to another discovering what he can about the family before, during and after the war.  Unfortunately we see Davis A LOT.  There's one point where he's being shown documents of the family's time in the camp and the camera is on Davis begging for a shot of him looking sad.  That's horrible and pathetic.  We learn more about Mengele and other things that aren't the family that it makes me wonder if the filmmakers really cared that much about the family instead of using them almost as a gimmick to frame a show around.  All of the time should've been spent talking about the family.  What's more, there's enough time not talking about them that you wonder if this is a two-parter (which it isn't).  I'm obviously very disappointed with this episode of PERSPECTIVES.  And I get it that the show's gimmick is that each episode is hosted by a well known celebrity as they talk about one topic that's close to them.  That's not lost on me.  I've not seen any other episodes but I can only hope that they don't have the same M.O. as this one as it focuses too much on the celebrity leaving less time to focus on what's really important.  Color me pissed.  I'm going to have some wine now if you'll excuse me...

No comments:

Post a Comment