Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Twelve Chairs (1970)

Director: Mel Brooks

Starring: Ron Moody, Frank Langella, Dom DeLuise, Mel Brooks, Andreas Voutsinas, Diana Coupland, David Lander, Vlada Petric

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A wild and hilarious chase for a fortune in jewels.

Plot: In 1920s Soviet Russia, a fallen aristocrat, a priest and a con artist search for a treasure of jewels hidden inside one of twelve dining chairs, lost during the revolution.


My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not.

This came 3 years after Mel Brooks' amazingly funny and clever, THE PRODUCERS (1967) and 4 years before YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974) and BLAZING SADDLES (1974).  What happened?  I haven't watched CHAIRS in more than 20 years and it's about like I remembered it - sometimes silly & dull.  Frank Langella is too good looking for his own good.  It's hard to believe that Dom DeLuise was ever than thin, too.  It's not a typical Mel Brooks flick so before you see it you should understand that it's not the laugh fest that the films he made just before and right after are.  Those three pictures are among the funniest ever made.  Period.  This one is a must see for Brooks fans and it's different but it's still worth seeing.  I've seen it three times now and I think that's my limit for this film.



No comments:

Post a Comment