Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mama (2013)

Director: Andres Muschietti

Starring: Jessica Chastain, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Megan Charpentier, Isabelle Nelisse, Daniel Kash, Javier Botet, Jane Moffat, Morgan McGarry, David Fox

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A mother's love is forever.

Plot: The senior partner of an investment brokerage Jeffrey has a breakdown and kills his two associates and his wife. Then he takes his three-year old daughter Victoria and the one-year old daughter Lilly and drives his car through a winding snowing road. He has a car accident and fall off a cliff, but he brings his daughters to an abandoned and isolated cabin to kill them, but the children are saved by a creepy ghostly creature. Five years later, Jeffrey's brother Lucas finds the children that were raised without social relationship and claim that they have been raised by Mama. Lucas disputes the custody with the children's grandmother but Dr. Dreyfuss, who is studying the girls, selects Lucas to take care of the children. Lucas lives with his girlfriend Annabel, who plays in a rock 'n' roll band, and Victoria and Lilly moves to their house. Soon Lucas and Annabel find that the girls were not delusional and they are not alone in the house.


My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

THE SPOILERS AND MR. CHICKEN...YARRRRRRR!

Jump scares?  Check.  Crappy story?  Not really.  Jump scares?  Check.  Little-to-no character arc?  I'm shocked that it's got one. Lousy ending?  Not exactly.  Jump scares?  Check.


I didn't expect to like this but I have this monthly movie pass that lets me see whatever I want in the theater.  I feel like I don't see enough horror films in the theater so there I was.  If it weren't for the fucking jump scares I would have liked it a whole lot better.  I'm willing to forgive the little plot holes the show up every once in a while if the picture is effective.  The ghost design and effects are outstanding.  I was very impressed.  I LOVED the way the ghost would sink to floor/ground level so that only her long hair moved across the floor/ground.  Nice!  Hell, I even liked the girlfriend's character arc.  The ending was fucking great.  Killing the guy, beating the snot out of his girlfriend and killing one of the two little girls was amazing. I couldn't believe my eyes.  They had the balls to do something cool for a change.  Oh...wait.  The guy's not dead.  He gets up and joins his girlfriend and the little girl that survived and they're going to be a happy family.  THE.FUCK?  The witch reached into his chest, pulled out something, he falls to the ground lifeless.  Don't give me some bullshit that he's alive.  When the ghost killed herself and the girl did his 'essence' come back suddenly?  That's the only excuse they've got.  I can't believe this.  This is bullshit.  Take out that little bit and the jump scares and this would have been a solid 8/10.  What a fuck up.

No comments:

Post a Comment