Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)

Director: Tommy Wirkola

Starring: Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Pihla Viitala, Derek Mears, Robin Atkin Downes, Ingrid Boiso Berdal, Joanna Kulig, Thomas Mann

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Revenge is sweeter than candy.

Plot: Hansel and Gretel are bounty hunters who track and kill witches all over the world. As the fabled Blood Moon approaches, the siblings encounter a new form of evil that might hold a secret to their past.


My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I really only watched this because of Jeremy Renner.  After seeing him in a few movies over the past couple of years I've really been impressed with this guy. It turns out he's about the best thing in this picture.  Everything else is OK.  It's funny because I didn't know this was rated 'R'.  At some point someone utters a derivative of the word, 'fuck'.  OK, I thought.  Then about twenty minutes later there was another and that's when I knew this was an R film (you can't have more than one 'fuck' in a PG-13 movie; anything else is an automatic R).  Then this chick takes her clothes off for a swim in the pond.  NICE!  I only say that because it was completely unexpected.  I'm shocked they didn't go for a PG-13 to get a wider audience but I'm glad they didn't only because that little extra made the film better and it's nice to see something like this made for adults for a change.  But then there's also some typical Hollywood stuff that's sprinkled in.  I caught this one in 3D.  There were some neat effects every once in a while but it's not necessary to see it that way. While it's not as good as I had hoped for, it's not so bad that I won't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment