Saturday, September 3, 2011

Turkish Death Wish (1975)



Director: Memduh Un

Starring: Oktar Durukan, Serdar Gokhan, Mahmut Hekimoglu, Reha Yurdakul, Emel Ozden

More info: IMDb

Plot: A Turkish Charles Bronson's family is accosted and murdered by street thugs. Naturally they have to die, one by one - Turkish Charles Bronson style!



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah!

Pop quiz. What's more badass than Charles Bronson? Right, nothing! What's about as close as you can get to being as badass as Charles Bronson? Being the Turkish Charles Bronson!!!



There's two things I love about this movie. It's a blatant DEATH WISH (1974) rip off stealing dialogue, scenes, just about everything from the smash Bronson hit from the previous year. The other thing I like about it is the ending. In the Bronson masterpiece, he never gets the satisfaction of finding the punks that fucked his family's shit up. He had to get it from killing other punk-ass bitches instead. In the Turkish version, he hunts them down, one by one, and kills the culprits that committed the crime. It's hard to say which version I like better when it comes to that difference in the story. I like them both. From what I've seen so far of the Turkish ripoffs, they're pretty bad. This one stands tall and proud. Sure, it's blatant theft but it's blatant Turkish Charles Bronson doing the stealing. It's fun as hell and that's OK by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment