Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Capone (1975)




Director: Steve Carver

Starring: Ben Gazzara, Harry Guardino, Susan Blakely, Sylvester Stallone, John Cassavetes, Frank Campanella, John Orchard, Dick Miller, Martin Kove

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The man who made the twenties roar! Now, after 45 years, his true story can be told!

Plot: The story of the rise and fall of the infamous Chicago gangster Al Capone and the control he exhibited over the city during the prohibition years.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I digs me some Great Depression era gangster pictures or ones that take place during that time. I'd never seen this one before so why not. It's got a great cast. Cassavetes is in it for a few minutes in the beginning. Gazzara does a good job but he looks too thin but then Roger Corman produced this so there you go. Sometimes he looks like Bob Hoskins as Al Capone...



Sometimes he looks like Robert De Niro as Al Capone...



and sometimes he looks like Ben Gazzara as Al Capone...



One neat thing about his picture is an very early and prominent performance by Sylvester Stallone as Capone's enforcer, Frank Nitti.



CAPONE isn't as accurate as I'd like but there's plenty of action and a little bit of nudity.



There's so much action that it gets old after a while. Somebody shoots someone in Capone's crew so he has to retaliate and so on and so on. It's one drive-by shooting after another. There are so many that they lose their impact and become almost laughable. By the time it was over I was about ready to make my own bathtub gin so I could get liquored up and fall asleep. It's not that bad but you get the point. There are better pictures out there on the subject which doesn't mean skip this one but if it sounds like your cup of tea, you'll probably enjoy it for what it is - cheap entertainment. Netflix didn't have it so I had to watch a bootleg (ahahahahahahaha). I'm now going to give it back.


No comments:

Post a Comment