Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (1952)




Director: Ken Annakin

Starring: Richard Todd, Joan Rice, Peter Finch, James Hayter, James Robertson Justice, Martita Hunt, Hubert Gregg

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The romantic adventure of the year!

Plot: Young Robin Hood, in love with Maid Marian, enters an archery contest with his father at the King's palace. On the way home his father is murdered by henchmen of Prince John. Robin takes up the life of an outlaw, gathering together his band of merry men with him in Sherwood Forest, to avenge his father's death and to help the people of the land that Prince John are over taxing.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

There's no escaping the shadow of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938). That movie is flawless and there'll never be another Robin Hood movie that can come close but I won't fault anyone for trying. This is an admirable effort that has a few differences than the '38 film. The performances are fine but it lacks vibrancy. Todd is fine as Robin Hood. I do my best not to compare any actor who plays him to Errol Flynn but he seems too small in stature. The guy's 5'9" and he looks like a boy compared to everyone else. Outside of his height he does fine.


There's a little action and a scant bit of swordplay. I could've definitely used more. I usually have something to say about the score but I JUST finished watching it and can't remember a damn thing about it. I suppose that means Clifton Parker's music did what it needed to do. It's been said that the composer is doing their job if you don't notice the music. Yeah but how about that grand Korngold score for the '38 picture? TSoRHaHMM is a good telling of the tale but it's not so special that I'll ever watch it again. If it had been an original story, then another spin somewhere down the road would be in order.





No comments:

Post a Comment