Saturday, October 9, 2010

Werewolf of London (1935)




Director: Stuart Walker

Starring: Henry Hull, Warner Oland

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Beware! Terror strikes in the night!

Plot: While on a botanical expedition in Tibet Dr. Wilfred Glendon is attacked in the dark by a strange animal. Returning to London, he finds himself turning nightly into a werewolf and terrorizing the city, with the only hope for curing his affliction a rare Asian flower.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Maybe.


#10 of 31 Days of Horror 2010.

Not a bad little werewolf picture. I prefer it to some of the Chaney ones simply because the pacing is more upbeat and it gives us a different take on the creature. It's got some surprises in store with some of the characters which I didn't see coming. The comic relief with the two older women who LOVE the sauce was pretty damn funny. The only thing that really bothered me was the repetition of Karl Hajos's four-note theme. It gets old really fast.


Warner Oland was a very nice addition to the cast. He's got a cold, cool presence about him that really adds to the atmosphere.


This is the last film in the Wolf Man Universal Legacy Collection box set that I've had for six years and I FINALLY watched every film on it. I had only previously watched THE WOLF MAN (1941). There's nothing like procrastination.


No comments:

Post a Comment