Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Videodrome (1983)




Director: David Cronenberg

Starring: James Woods, Sonja Smits, Deborah Harry

More info: IMDb

Tagline: First it controlled her mind, then it destroyed her body... Long live the new flesh!

Plot: A sleazy cable-TV programmer begins to see his life and the future of media spin out of control in a very unusual fashion when he acquires a new kind of programming for his station.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

#48 on Drive-In Delirium Volume 1 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


I don't know why it seems to take so long to get around to watching certain movies but it does. Maybe it's because my to-see list is so extensive that it's a given or, more likely, I discover a lot of shit (figuratively and literally) that I just have to see that gets in the way. Regardless, I recently watched this for the first time which is too bad. Too bad because this would have had a larger impact on me if I hadn't waited more than 25 years to get around to it. Nothing dates a movie more than technology, but there is something very nostalgic about such an emphasis put on video tapes.



Shitty VHS. It should've been recorded on DVD!

I dig Cronenberg's films. They're...just different. They go deeper than most movies and their direction isn't usually what you would think. There's some freaky stuff in VIDEODROME. The effects are silly to fantastic but then I'm watching it 27 years too late. A lot has changed since then except that Cronenberg still makes engaging and interesting movies. Wow. I managed to waste time writing about my thoughts on this movie without saying anything about the film. I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment