Sunday, October 17, 2010

Santa's Slay (2005)




Director: David Steinman

Starring: Bill Goldberg, Robert Culp, Dave Thomas, Saul Rubinek, Fran Drescher, Tommy Lister, James Caan

More info: IMDb

Tagline: He's making a list... pray you're not on it.

Plot: Santa Claus is actually a demon who lost a bet with an Angel, so he becomes the giver of toys and happiness. But when the bet is off, he returns to his evil ways.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Annually.


I caught this amazing piece of cinema last December and it instantly became a flick that will have its place next to another Xmas classic, BAD SANTA (2003). SS is fucking insanely funny and gory as hell. Who would have thought? I certainly didn't expect anything but shit from this and it bitch-slapped me into next week. It's got more famous names than the receiving line at Heidi Fleiss's grand re-opening. I'll watch anything with Robert Culp and he's got more of a role than I would have guessed.



I don't think you could ask for better and more creative kills. The story is brilliant with Santa not being who we all thought he was. His back story is done in the stop motion style of the Rankin & Bass TV xmas films and it's so good it could stand proudly right next to RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER (1964) and THE YEAR WITHOUT A SANTA CLAUS (1974).


Of all the xmas-themed horror movies I've seen, this is the most fun. I mean SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT (1984) is great and all but SANTA'S SLAY has that element of pure joy that's hard to find. Netflix this hidden gem, spike some eggnog and get your pals over 'cause this is one killer Santa Claus that will leave you in pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment