Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stop Me Before I Kill! (1960)




Director: Val Guest

Starring: Claude Dauphin, Diane Cilento, Ronald Lewis

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A diabolical new technique in suspense!

Plot: High-strung race car driver Alan Colby is trying to recover from a serious head injury. Alan and his lovely new wife Denise go on vacation to the South of France for some much needed rest and relaxation. But Alan is having trouble resisting his more violent impulses. Suave local psychiatrist David Prade offers to help Alan out.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

#14 on Hammer Horror (1957-1976)

#21 of 31 Days of Horror 2010.

It's not a bad picture but it sure does get weighted down by the plodding 107 minute run time. It took me three attempts to finish it. The cast does very well and the story's fine; it's just that it would work better at probably around an hour and twenty as there isn't THAT much story to tell. It tries for that Hitchcockian psychological thriller angle but it delivers little in tension and suspense.


Lewis constantly reminded me of a young Sean Connery, Dauphin reminded me of Claude Rains and Cilento is so delicious she reminded me that I need to get out more. Grrrrrowl! She needs to have my Italian-speaking babies! The end isn't the kockout it could have been as they give you some details minutes before the shit hits the fan that take the wind out of it. Maybe for 1960 it had more punch but I'm not entirely convinced. Perhaps in the skilled hands of Alfred Hitchcock. Who knows. All I know is that it would have been better and more effective...and with Sean Connery and Claude Rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment