Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Winter Carousel (1958)

Original title: Carrousel Boreal

Director: Wladyslaw Starewicz

Writers: Irene Starewicz, Wladyslaw Starewicz

Composer: Daniel White

More info: IMDb

Plot: A small group of animals gathers around a frozen pond. The animals then play together on the ice and in the snow. Later, when the season changes, they look for new ways of passing the time.

My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

I'm such a huge fan of stop motion animation that it takes a lot for me not to like any of it.  There's so much talent that goes into making this stuff that I can't help but respect the filmmakers.  This 12 minute French film is adorable.  There isn't any dialogue so everyone can enjoy this.  I would imagine that little kids would love this.  It's only 12 minutes so that's perfect for them.  Now, if you're like me and your mind runs on the filthy side...


This isn't the only scene that had me crawling out of the gutter.  There are some truly wonderful moments in this picture that really impressed me.  The technique alone is superb.  One scene baffled me when they're all on the carousel where the background is moving in the wrong direction to the carousel.  I wonder if it's a serious error or if it was intentional.  I'm sure I'll never know as the Russian-born animation master Starewicz died in '65 at the age of 82.

No comments:

Post a Comment