Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Big Job (1965)

Director: Gerald Thomas

Writers: Talbot Rothwell, John Antrobus

Composer: Eric Rogers

Starring: Sidney James, Sylvia Syms, Dick Emery, Joan Sims, Lance Percival, Jim Dale, Edina Ronay, Deryck Guyler, Reginald Beckwith

More info: IMDb

Tagline: WANTED in connection with THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY otherwise know as...

Plot: An inept gang of bank robbers, led by George The Brain, are caught and sentenced to 15 years hard labor. When they are released from prison they start out to collect the money they had stolen and which George had hidden in a hollow tree during the chase in which they were caught. The only trouble is that the tree was in the middle of a lonely lane when they were imprisoned.  Now, 15 years later, the tree is in the backyard of a Police Station.



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

At best it's mildly entertaining.  People do predictably stupid things.  The criminals are optimistically idiotic and the police are dumb and inept.  I didn't laugh once.  I'm familiar with a lot of the cast and I like their personalities.  They're occasionally funny in other movies and they've got more comedy chops than most actors do these days but the scripts just aren't all that funny.  I'm not opposed to this kind of humor but I'm growing tire of seeing mediocre (at best) pictures.  If you like to be mildly amused then this might be for you.  My expectations were high when I saw the cast in the opening credits but dipped when the director's name appeared.  Gerald Thomas directed all of the CARRY ON pictures in the 50s, 60s and 70s.  That's when I feared the worst.  You might consider this a CARRY ON side project considering the talent in front of and behind the camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment