Thursday, January 18, 2018

10,000 BC (2008)

Director: Roland Emmerich

Writers: Roland Emmerich, Harald Kloser

Composers: Harald Kloser, Thomas Wanker

Starring: Steven Strait, Camilla Belle, Cliff Curtis, Joel Virgel, Affif Ben Badra, Mo Zinal, Nathanael Baring, Omar Sharif

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It takes a hero to change the world.

Plot: A prehistoric epic that follows a young mammoth hunter's journey through uncharted territory to secure the future of his tribe.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I honestly don't know why I watched this.  The only movie I've seen made by Emmerich that I liked is THE PATRIOT (2000).  Maybe I was curious as to how far from reality he would take something that is set 12,000 years ago.  Minutes in it's a reasonable assumption to make that he saw APOCALYPTO (2006) two years earlier and thought he should make one, too, but what if the city were loads bigger and the protagonist stayed there to liberate it or something spectacular and CGI heavy.  That's what it felt like.  I didn't care about anyone.  The CGI is at times dodgy and it's used more of a "look everybody, we brought back the woolly mammoth and the sabre toothed tiger!" just for the sake of doing it because "it would look cool and nobody has these guys in their movies".  I was borderline bored for the entire picture.  I think I'm done with Emmerich's pictures.  He must be making movies for the naive teenage crowd because they're certainly not for cats like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment