Saturday, October 1, 2011

Grey Knight (1993)



Director: George Hickenlooper

Starring: Corbin Bernsen, Adrian Pasdar, Ray Wise, Cynda Williams, Roger Wilson, Billy Bob Thornton, David Arquette, Alexis Arquette, Matt LeBlanc

More info: IMDb

Tagline: BE WARNED! The perfect soldiers are the ones who can not be killed!

Plot: Slave traders bring back evil voodoo entity that is accidently freed by the Confederate army during the Civil War. The entity possesses the bodies of the dead soldiers to create an army of its own bent on conquest, using the corpses of both the North and South.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? Nope.

Considering the cast and the director (who did the excellent documentary, HEARTS OF DARKNESS: A FILMMAKER'S APOCALYPSE (1991)), I had slightly higher hopes for this one. Not all of the performances are up to the same level - they're all over the place. The makeup effects were sometimes great and others, silly. The dialogue was sketchy at times. I guess what I'm saying is that nothing in the picture was consistent which is a shame, because when it works it works well but then when it doesn't, it's a real drag. The pacing is sometimes an issue, too. Oh, there are two versions out there and when I heard the longer director's cut was the one to get, that's what I watched. One of the things that changed, apparently, was the score. Bill Boll did the director's cut version and it's not good. It's a bland synth score and if this was an improvement to the original one, then I don't want to hear that one. I like mixing horror up with historical events like WWI, WWII, The Civil War, etc. There are very few good ones but that won't keep me from looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment