Saturday, October 8, 2011

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)


Director: John Carl Buechler

Starring: Jennifer Banko, John Otrin, Susan Blue, Lar Park-Lincoln, Terry Kiser, Kevin Spirtas, Susan Jennifer Sullivan, Heidi Kozak, Kane Hodder

More info: IMDb

Tagline: On Friday the 13th, Jason will meet his match.

Plot: Lying dormant at the bottom of Crystal Lake, Jason is released from his watery grave by a telekinetic girl. And so the killing begins again. Can she use her powers to stop Jason, or is he back for good?



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

Damn, Jason sure does kill a lot of folks. I don't know what the body count is in this picture but it's high, and there are some people killed that you might not expect. I guess you have to expect all but one or two will die in each film and write the rest off. Anyway, I really enjoyed this one and no small part to having my favorite kill of the series (so far):



The only thing that would have made that better is if Jason had repeatedly slammed her against the tree instead of only once. Which brings me to my only big gripe. I don't recall seeing a single kill happen. You get the just before and just after but you don't see the actual blows to the bodies. I'm reading in the IMDb trivia that it was heavily edited which makes more sense now. I'm going to have to search for an uncut version because I felt cheated. I wanted my happy ending, so to speak. I didn't care to see Jason's now monster looking face. I would have preferred a more realistic decomposing human face. Outside of that, this is a fun ride that follows the formula established previously. Lots of kills, gore and the boobs are back! Can't ask for much more than that. Oh, wait, I guess I already did.

No comments:

Post a Comment