Friday, October 28, 2011

Black Devil Doll from Hell (1984)




Director: Chester Novell Turner

Starring: Shirley L. Jones, Keefe Turner, Marie Sainvilvs

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Was it a nightmare? Or was it for real?

Plot: Helen, a very religious woman saving herself for the man she marries, buys a doll at a thrift store. Unbeknownst to her, the doll is possessed by an evil spirit and it proceeds to rape her. After losing her virginity to it (!), the doll mysteriously disappears and she desperately sleeps with other men to regain that wonderfully new feeling. Unfortunately, no man can satisfy her the way the Black Devil Doll from Hell could. She is left a broken woman. YES!



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Sure. Get some party liquor and friends together and it's a night to remember!

This one's been on my radar for quite some time and it's killing me I didn't watch it sooner. This is hilariously bad and fun all at the same time. A few years before Chucky and CHILD'S PLAY (1988), writer/director Turner cranked out his own evil doll flick with a zero budget! My hat's off to him for making it happen. It's shot on a VHS camcorder, the music is pitiful (it sounds like someone hit the 'demo' button on a cheap Casio keyboard - seriously, you should watch it for yourself), and I don't think there's a single 'actor' in the picture.


Hell, the movie's only 78 minutes long and the opening "do it yourself early video days" credits last almost 7 full minutes!!! Fortunately it's only about 20 minutes in (including the credits) before we get what we came for...



Oh, yeah! This picture is hilarious and if I hadn't been so sleepy when I watched it I would have dug it even more. I suspect that this movie improves with each viewing and, with liquor and friends, it'll become one of those WTF movies you throw on to impress what friends you have left. Either that or they'll all leave me to die alone. Please watch this movie. There's nothing else like it and I'd hate for it to die in obscurity.



No comments:

Post a Comment