Monday, October 24, 2011

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)




Director: Rob Hedden

Starring: Kane Hodder, Tod Caldecott, Tiffany Paulsen, Tim Mirkovich, Jensen Daggett, Barbara Bingham, Alex Diakun, Peter Mark Richman

More info: IMDb

Tagline: New York has a new problem

Plot: Rennie is celebrating her graduation aboard the SS Lazarus, along with her strict uncle, her favorite teacher, her boyfriend, Sean, all of her classmates, and a stowaway: hockey-masked serial killer Jason Voorhees. One by one, Jason slowly murders each classmate and sinks the ship, stranding the survivors in New York. Rennie and the few survivors now must face Jason to save their lives from impending doom...



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? I suppose.

Over the years (before I watched any of the films in this series) I heard lots of bitching about this entry in particular. It's not THAT bad. While I like Jason loose in the woods, it's nice to have a different location having now watched the first eight films. I was a little cheesed, however, that the first two thirds of the film takes place on a boat and not New York, but the kills were fun. I loved the weapons/methods Jason used, being limited to what you'd find on a boat. Like one of the earlier films, I didn't like it when he removed his mask, revealing his monster face. Again, I'd prefer he had a badly damaged human face than one that resembles a monster. But, it was still a reasonably entertaining film that took the franchise out of the woods and into the asphalt jungle. I have no idea where the next movie is set. I know there's one of them coming up that is set in space and that sounds like a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment