Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Planet of the Apes (1968)


Director: Franklin J. Schaffner

Starring: Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter, James Daly

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: Somewhere in the Universe, there must be something better than man!

Plot: An astronaut crew crash lands on a planet in the distant future where intelligent talking apes are the dominant species, and humans are the oppressed and enslaved.



My Rating: 9/10

Would I watch it again? Can Chuck Heston ham it up or what?

Here's a great sci-fi flick that never gets old. I would LOVE to see this on a giant movie screen. I recently watched it on a 12'x9' outdoor movie screen in my backyard and it kicked ass but I still want it bigger than life way on up there.

I love the starkness of the Forbidden Zone. Heston is a fucking heartless badass. Every time I watch it I'm always taken aback by how much of a matter-of-fact, face fucking reality jerk-off asshole he is. I love it.

For the ladies there's lots of rear male nudity. Sadly the film makers neglected to put in some ape full frontal. Oh, well. Them's tha breaks.

Jerry Goldsmith's score is balls-to-the-fucking-wall insane. I like the trial scenes that give you lots of stuff to think about regarding society and parallels but I would have liked a little more action towards the 2/3 move thing along a little faster but I really shouldn't complain. It's an amazing film and it blows that piece of horrendous shit that is a remake from 2001 out of the water. Avoid the Tim Burton remake at all costs. It's an insult to this American classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment