Thursday, May 15, 2014

Weird Science (1985)

Director: John Hughes

Writer: John Hughes

Composer: Ira Newborn

Starring: Anthony Michael Hall, Kelly LeBrock, Iian Mitchell-Smith, Bill Paxton, Suzanne Snyder, Judie Aronson, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Rusler, Vernon Wells, Britt Leach, Barbara Lang, Michael Berryman

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It's all in the name of science. Weird Science.

Plot: Two unpopular teenagers, Gary Wallace and Wyatt Donnelly, fail at all attempts to be accepted by their peers. Their desperation to be liked leads them to "create" a woman via their computer. Their living and breathing creation is a gorgeous woman, Lisa, whose purpose is to boost their confidence level by putting them into situations which require Gary and Wyatt to act like men.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah, in another thirty years.

It's 1985.  I'm a senior in high school.  This was one of the greatest movies of all time.  Bill Paxton.  Fucking hilarious. Anthony Michael Hall and Iian Mitchell-Smith (whatever happened to him?  He was great in this).  Hilarious.  It introduced to the world the AWESOME band, Oingo Boingo.  LOVE that song.  Had I been a few years younger I would have tried to make a woman using my Commodore 64 and I would have done it, too.  Kelly LeBrock.  Say it with me...hubba-fuckin'-hubba.  Hell, you even get the great Michael Berryman as a crazy biker.   I hadn't seen this in more than 25 years.  I fuckin' loved this movie.  Now?  Wow.  I remembered an awful lot of of, the dialogue, situations, little things here and there.  It was like catching up with a beloved friend I hadn't seen since high school.  There's nothing like nostalgia, huh?  I was a bit saddened when it didn't hold up as well after all these years.  The picture drags in spots but the laughs were still there.  Still, I enjoyed albeit disappointed.  I've done a lot of growing up in twenty five years.  Now I behave like a 26 year old and I've upgraded my computer so I can finish making that woman.  BTW, woud it have killed John Hughes to include a teensie bit of LeBrock's cans?  Hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment