Sunday, May 18, 2014

Jeff Foxworthy: You Might Be a Redneck If.../Check Your Neck (2004)

Directors: David Bergman, Keith Truesdell

Writer: Jeff Foxworthy

Starring: Jeff Foxworthy, Allie Raye

More info: IMDb

Plot: Jeff Foxworthy at his best and funniest. Every thing from You might be a redneck if..., to Victoria's Secret, women, children, sex and life.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I dig the guy.  His "you might be a redneck if..." shit is funny.  I grew up in The South and I've known the targets of his jokes and he's accurate.  "...if your family tree has no branches" is one of my favorites along with "if you go to family reunions to pick up women" is another. Like Andrew Dice Clay and his nursery rhymes, he can do that all day long and I'm on board.  But, like Gallagher, he's more than just a one-trick pony and shouldn't be judged solely on that. This DVD is broken into two almost half hour clean sets.  The first has a lot of his now-classic routines that fans probably know by heart like the Victoria's Secret bits.  This is the best set of the two.  The second is mostly about married life and being a parent.  I'm not a big fan of when comedians change their act to focus on their wife/husband and kids.  That's not to say those aren't funny subjects, they can be.  It's just that more often than not, the comedians at that point tend to become more tame and predictable in their performance.  And I know that this is only a small part of what he's done.  I'll keep checking out his other stuff.  He's a polished professional that knows how to get laughs and that's not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment