Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Across the Universe (2007)

Director: Julie Taymor

Writers: Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais, Julie Taymor

Composer: Elliot Goldenthal

Starring: Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs, Martin Luther, T.V. Carpio, Spencer Liff, Bill Irwin, Joe Cocker, Bono, Eddie Izzard, Salma Hayek

More info: IMDb

Tagline: All you need is love.

Plot:  Musical based on The Beatles songbook. Set in the 60s England, America, and Vietnam. The love story of Lucy and Jude is intertwined with the anti-war movement and social protests of the 60s. Over 30 Beatles' songs are woven into the plot together with visual allusions to their timeless films.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

Well call me surprised.  I liked it.  It took about an hour in before I really started to dig it.  I love the Beatles and it's pretty damn impressive that Taymor and Co. were able to craft a story made from the Beatles' lyrics and turn it into something really neat.  There are some stunning visuals and set pieces.



I might not have dug all of the Beatles covers but there was a lot to like and they did a fine job of presenting this band to an audience who'd probably heard very little of the band or even at all.  Bono was great. Didn't see that coming.  His look and version of "I Am the Walrus" was great as was Eddie Izzard and "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite".  The picture is loaded with Beatles references that will keep fans entertained picking them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment