Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Yellow Submarine (1968)

Director: George Dunning

Writers: Lee Minoff, Al Brodax, Jack Mendelsohn, Erich Segal, Roger McGough

Composer: George Martin, The Beatles

Starring: Paul Angelis, John Clive, Dick Emery, Geoffrey Hughes, Lance Percival, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The forces of good! The forces of evil!

Plot: The Beatles agree to accompany Captain Fred in his Yellow Submarine and go to Pepperland to free it from the music hating Blue Meanies.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Maybe.

The animation is trippy.  If I were a college-age kid in '68, I could totally see myself getting high and heading into the theater for this wild experience.  You know, 'cause all the kids were doing it so I'd be forced to conform.  Anyway, it's a psychedelic ride with some Beatles voice sound alikes sitting in for the real guys although John, Paul, George and Ringo show up in a live bit at the end which is fun.  They were so playful and quick-witted.  The script is the same when it comes to the band members and their camaraderie.  There are a lot of great, under the breath, gags.  That's my favorite part outside of the great, classic songs.  I liked it but I'm not sure if I'll see it again.  Maybe if I could travel back in time 45 years...


No comments:

Post a Comment