Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)

Director: Scott Derrickson

Writers: Paul Harris Boardman, Scott Derrickson

Composer: Christopher Young

Starring: Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, Campbell Scott, Jennifer Carpenter, Colm Feore, Joshua Close, Kenneth Welsh, Duncan Fraser, JR Bourne, Mary Beth Hurt, Henry Czerny

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What happened to Emily?

Plot: A lawyer takes on a negligent homicide case involving a priest who performed an exorcism on a young girl.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I don't believe in the supernatural.  That includes things like deities, demons, exorcisms, etc.. But I can enjoy movies and entertainment about such things. This film is interesting in that it's a exorcism flick but it's broken up into small chunks, surrounded by a courtroom drama.  If told as a straight up horror flick it probably would have failed as many of them do but the inclusion of the trial, which takes up the majority of the picture, makes for a much more engaging film.  It's funny how even though I should be fully on the side of of the prosecution, I found myself rooting for Father Moore (Wilkinson).  In real life I wouldn't.  This is said to be based on actual events.  It is possible that the priest believed in this possession but ultimately, if I were on the jury, I would go with the prosecution.  I would, however, plead 'guilty' to loving the shit out of the fact that I've been watching a lot of movies lately (strictly by chance) scored by Christopher Young, one of my favorite composer for the past 25 years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment