Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Terry Jones' Barbarians (2006)

Directors:Rob Coldstream, et al.

Writers: Alan Ereira, David McNab, Terry Jones

Composers: Sandy Nuttgens, Michael Scott

Starring: Terry Jones, Peter Heather and lots of people with prestigious degrees higher than what I've got.

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Welcome to the other side of Roman history.

Plot: So you think you know everything about the Romans? Monty Python’s Terry Jones invites you on an entertaining expedition through Roman history from an entirely different perspective – that of the Barbarians. Far from the uncivilized savages they have been believed to be, many of these "non-Romans" were not barbaric at all. They were, in fact, highly organized and intelligent societies that had no intentions of overthrowing Rome or its Empire. A rare blend of scholarly research and archaeological evidence along with Jones’ familiar brand of irreverent humor gives this fascinating series a unique insight into the Barbarians, the Romans and the creation of the modern world.



My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

This short UK documentary series is fascinating and entertaining. There's not as much funny as you would expect from Terry MONTY PYTHON Jones but he brings a highly energetic and fun energy to it that captured my attention from the start.  I've already watched it twice.  I'm a sucker for Roman history to begin with so this is a no brainer for me but there's so much more than that.  I love that he goes to the locations where many of these historic events took place.  And I love his take on things, not just taking the Roman's word for their version of history. 

Back in 2007 Jones was touring the U.S. promoting his latest history book and one of his stops was in my small town.  His lecture was much like this series, fun, informative and fascinating.  Afterward he was available for signing (I took just about everything Python I owned) and photos.  It was one of the many highlights of my life.  What unexpected fun that was.  That's me on the left.  Aha.  Aha.  A...ha.



No comments:

Post a Comment