Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hollywood Goes Ape! (1994)

Director: Donald F. Glut

Writer: Donald F. Glut

Composer: ???

Starring: Bob Burns, Ashley Austin, Forrest J. Ackerman, Ray Harryhausen, George E. Turner

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A documentary of ape-ic proportions.

Plot: Bob Burns takes us on a history of gorilla costume actors from the beginning of cinema.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? No.
 


OH, BOY!  I think I know where this is going...



Ah, shit.  I guess I don't. [cue the Price is Right sad tuba music]

That's alright because it's a really informative history of guys in gorilla suits from the movies and TV.   It's almost shocking how many films there are.  Included are lots of film clip showing the different examples of the suit variations and how the actors portrayed them.  There's probably too much of it but I liked seeing the stuff from the silent pictures and serials.  You'll probably only need to watch it once but that once is a fun and interesting ride and you'll learn more than you ever thought possible about this unusual and virtually extinct profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment