Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Straight on Till Morning (1972)


Director: Peter Collinson

Starring: Rita Tushingham, Shane Briant, James Bolam, Katya Wyeth, Annie Ross, Tom Bell, Claire Kelly, Harold Berens, John Clive, Tommy Godfrey, Mavis Villiers, Lola Willard

More info: IMDb

Plot: A timid, withdrawn woman meets a man she believes is finally the love of her life, unaware that he is a vicious serial killer.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? I think I'm compelled to.

This one took me by surprise. It starts out with brief scenes of our killer and of the girl he's going to soon meet and possibly fall in love with, Brenda (with an utterly fantastic performance by Rita Tushingham). It's rather off-putting and it makes a lot more sense once you've reached the end. For a while I didn't like this picture at all partially because I found Brenda naivety annoying and the picture was a pretty slow go. Then we properly meet Peter (coldly and eerily played by Shane Briant) and it starts to move. More than that, Peter is a flaming asshole and it's difficult to see why anyone but a desperate and lonely woman would see anything in him. He's horrendous but Brenda accepts it because she wants a baby. No spoilers here but the finale chilled me to the bone. We hear tape recordings of previous and future events that are effective enough to feel like it's happening to someone you love. Outstanding. I'm keen to re-watch this someday. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be even better than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment