Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)



Director: Robert Fuest

Starring: Vincent Price, Joseph Cotten, Hugh Griffith, Terry-Thomas, Virginia North, Peter Jeffrey, Derek Godfrey

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There are two sides to Dr. Phibes.....both of them EVIL!

Plot: A doctor, scientist, organist, and biblical scholar, Dr. Anton Phibes, seeks revenge on the nine doctors he considers responsible for his wife's death.


My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

#84 on Drive-In Delirium Volume 2 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT

This picture and it's sequel the following year have been on my "to watch" list for a couple of decades but with so many movies to watch, it can take a while to get around to it. A friend of mine popped these two in, back-to-back, and forced them upon me. I didn't resist. I guess I was ready.


Not bad. It appears as if the SAW franchise began here. There are many specially-designed kills, 8 or 9 in total, and they're fun and inventive. The whole movie is over the top in that wink wink sort of way. The performances are good and there's not really a weak link in the bunch (no surprise as it's a largely British cast). The whole plot is rather ridiculous once you see it unfold on the screen but it does provide for 94 minutes of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment