Friday, January 6, 2012

A Hard Day's Night (1964)




Director: Richard Lester

Starring: John, Paul, George, Ringo, Wilfrid Brambell, Norman Rossington, John Junkin, Victor Spinetti, Anna Quayle

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Beatles starring in their first full-length, hilarious action-packed film!

Plot: The Beatles--the world's most famous rock and roll band--travel from their home town of Liverpool to London to perform in a television broadcast. Along the way they must rescue Paul's unconventional grandfather from various misadventures and drummer Ringo goes missing just before the crucial concert.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

After watching HEAD (1968) the other night, it made me Jones for the real deal with one of the pictures The Beatles made. Since I fell asleep watching YELLOW SUBMARINE (1968) (I'll have to catch that one later), I'll talk a little about this picture. I've seen it a couple of times already and it never gets old. It's a lot of fun and you get the sense that these four fellas were having a laugh and enjoying their unfathomable fame very much. Their music in the picture is fantastic and there are some genuinely funny bits but there's an overall sense of fun and mischief that really makes the picture something different and enduring. For as big of a Beatles fan as I am it's a crime that this is the only one of their 4 movies I've seen (but I've seen it 4 times now if that counts for anything) and I'm terribly keen to see their follow up picture, HELP (1965), which looks like it was the true inspiration for THE MONKEES TV show, aka Beatles-lite (but I am a fan of The Monkees and their show).



1 comment:

  1. Cool movie for Beatles !
    You may see the film about The Rolling Stones )
    Gimme Shelter
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065780/

    ReplyDelete