Monday, October 3, 2016

Dead End Drive-In (1986)

Director: Brian Trenchard-Smith

Writers: Peter Carey, Peter Smalley

Composer: Frank Strangio

Starring: Ned Manning, Natalie McCurry, Peter Whitford, Wilbur Wilde, Dave Gibson, Sandie Lillingston, Ollie Hall

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There's a party every day, a movie every night, and all the junk food you can eat. What more can a kid want... except to get out.

Plot: In the near future, a teenage couple is trapped in a drive-in theater which has become a concentration camp for social outcasts. The inmates are treated to drugs, exploitation films, junk food, and new wave music.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I've seen a few of Trenchard-Smith's pictures and I like what I've seen so far.  This one has an interesting and fun premise and it's got some neat things going for it even if it goes on for too long.  The guy knows how to make good looking, professionally made films on the B/exploitation side.  With the music and the post-apocalyptic look, it's definitely a product of the 80s.  The characters are one-note and even though there's not much plot beyond getting stuck somewhere and doing whatever it takes to survive and escape, it has a level of fun that kept me interested enough to see the end.  It helps that it's Australian.  80s horror fans beware, there's not a lick of nudity.  Excuse me while I dry my eyes.  The Anchor Bay DVD has a great looking anamorphic widescreen print with a couple of extras in a commentary with the director and the theatrical trailer (also A-wide).

No comments:

Post a Comment