Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Batwoman (1968)

Director: Rene Cardona

Starring: Maura Monti, roberto Canedo, Hector Godoy, David Silva, Crox Alvarado, Armando Silvestre

More info: IMDb


Plot: A mad scientist is wanting to create a race of super gill men.  He uses the glands of wrestlers because they are "perfect".  Wrestlers are winding up dead all over Acapulco so the call goes out for that mysterious crime fighter, BATWOMAN!



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  I think I just might.



No matter what anyone says, the screenshots and short clips (like that one above) will force you to want to see this picture.  How can you not?  It looks and sounds like a supreme winner. 


Unfortunately it's not nearly as fun as it seems; maybe if you chop 20 minutes out of it and get it around an hour but not in its current form.  It's got lots of bland spots.  But what it does have is Monti all sexified in that Batwoman costume, a sense of fun and a groovy score.  Any of those would be enough to at least give it a shot but when you mix 'em up it's even better.



I'm sure I'll see this again.  I REALLY wanted to like it and if a widescreen print shows up (better still if there's an English dub) then I'll definitely give this another go and fast.  It's playful but periodically dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment