Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Nightbreed (1990)

Director: Clive Barker

Starring: Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, David Cronenberg, Charles Haid, Hugh Quarshie, Hugh Ross, Doug Bradley, Catherine Chevalier, Malcolm Smith

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Lori thought she knew everything about her boyfriend... Lori was wrong!

Plot: A community of mutant outcasts of varying types and abilities attempts to escape the attention of a psychotic serial killer and redneck vigilantes with the help of a brooding young man who discovers them.




My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

This is a tough one.  I watched this about a year ago and all I remember is that it's got a good score by Danny Elfman (ok, so maybe it's a little too big for the picture), great monster makeup effects and David Cronenberg was awesome as Dr. Decker (nice play on words, naming him Philip K. Decker (as in Philip K. Dick who wrote the story that became BLADE RUNNER (1982) whose main character was named Decker).  I can't think of anything more than that except I liked it OK.  I'll have to leave it at that.  I've heard rumors that there's a director's cut that transforms this from flawed to masterpiece and that it's unlikely it'll ever see the light of day.  If that one turns up, I'll watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment