Monday, October 16, 2017

Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

Director: Wayne Coe

Writer: Wayne Coe

Composer: Steve Dancz

Starring: James Earl Jones, Brad Dourif, Will Hare, Marc McClure, Michelle Joyner, William Atherton, Lisa Eichhorn, Wendy J. Cooke, Scott Paulin, Jennifer Barlow

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Hit The Trail...To Terror.

Plot: A cynical bounty hunter and a clerk traveling through the prairie rest by the campfire telling four stories of terror to each other.



My rating:  7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

Wow, what a surprise this turned out to be!  Jones and Dourif are the two storytellers and boy are they fun together!  They work well off each other and I can't remember the last time I saw Jones having so much fun.  The stories are all pretty good.  I say pretty good because a couple of them are VERY short and feel like they could've/should've been expanded (the first and last were like that).  I enjoyed the diversity of the stories, too.  The one with the family arriving to their plot of land to build on had value of being reality-based horror but also of showing hope for bad people.  The others had supernatural elements to them.  It's rare that I like all of the stories from a horror anthology, especially one like this film that has more than the usual.  I thoroughly enjoyed this picture and the ending was hilarious.  The IMDb trivia says that Coe planned on a sequel that never happened.  This is his only film.  I'd like to know more about this cat.  He made one fine movie.  And what do you know...Janusz Kaminski, the cinematographer on this picture (his second film) has been Steven Spielberg's DP since SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)!!!  The only print I could find is a horrible VHS copy.  I'll definitely get this if it ever comes out on DVD and this picture deserves a proper release with commentary and all the extras they can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment