Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Across 110th Street (1972)

Director: Barry Shear

Writers: Luther Davis, Wally Ferris

Composer: J.J. Johnson

Starring: Anthony Quinn, Yaphet Kotto, Anthony Franciosa, Antonio Fargas, Burt Young, Gloria Hendry, Richard Ward, Gilbert Lewis

More info: IMDb

Tagline: If you steal $300,000 from the mob, it's not robbery. It's suicide.

Plot: Two New York City cops go after amateur crooks who are trying to rip off the Mafia and start a gang war.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Probably not.

This gritty, down and dirty crime picture feels more grounded in reality than a lot of this genre from the early 70s and for that, it's worth seeing.  The cast does a wonderful job Kotto and Quinn make a good adversarial team that eventually come around and work together well.  The supporting cast is great, too.  The location shooting is the best.  It felt like I was getting to know the seedy streets of NYC.  I don't know how common it was back then for an A-picture but this one made us of hand held cameras to a nice effect.  The ending almost felt unnecessary but I liked it and it just adds to the cynical 70s vibe.  The MGM DVD has a great looking, grainy anamorphic widescreen print and the same goes for the only extra with the theatrical trailer.  I've seen this a few times over the past twenty five years so I'll probably put this one out to pasture in favor for all of the other 70s crime films that I have yet to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment