Monday, April 11, 2016

The Boss (1956)

Director: Byron Haskin

Writer: Dalton Trumbo

Composer: Albert Glasser

Starring: John Payne, William Bishop, Gloria McGehee, Doe Avedon, Roy Roberts, Rhys Williams, Joe Flynn, Robin Morse, William Phipps, Gil Lamb, George Lynn, Bob Morgan

More info: IMDb

Tagline: "I'M THE BOSS" "I've Got My Finger In Every Vice Racket. The Police, Senate Investigators, Nobody Can Lay A Hand On Me. They Call Me A Public Enemy, But Someday I'm Going To Name My Own President." I'M THE BOSS

Plot: Political corruption is vividly depicted as a ruthless WWI veteran takes almost complete control of a state with the help of a crooked lawyer.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

Not a bad picture.  It's got its moments but it's largely a lot of big talk in a lot of rooms.  There's very little action.   The love interest stuff is high melodrama.  That brings the picture down some.  Because of the era you know the bad guy's going to get taken down and he does.  No shocker there.  It's a slightly above average rise and fall of the gangster type of flick that hits the expected beats without much fanfare drawn to any of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment