Monday, April 11, 2016

Sideways (2004)

Director: Alexander Payne

Writers: Rex Pickett, Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Composer: Rolfe Kent

Starring: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen, Sandra Oh, Marylouise Burke, Jessica Hecht, Miss Doty, M.C. Gainey, Alysia Reiner

More info: IMDb

Tagline: In search of wine. In search of women. In search of themselves.

Plot: Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment, embark on a week long road trip through California's wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the aisle.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I caught this one many years back and I remember liking it better then.  It's a good flick with some great performances.  Maybe it hit me wrong this time.  Giamatti plays descending into darkness a little too well.  He was sometimes painful to watch but only for that reason.  Church plays a likable and sometimes despicable guy.  There are a few laughs.  It's funny that I watched this about a decade ago and all I can remember was the (almost) final scene at the fast food restaurant. But possibly the funniest bits in the picture...





Great stuff.  Overall it's a good flick but it's not something I'll need to see again.  Twice was fine.  The 20th Century Fox DVD has some extras starting with a commentary track with Giamatii and Church, 7 deleted scenes, a making of featurette (6 minutes) and the theatrical trailer (non-anamorphic widescreen).

No comments:

Post a Comment