Sunday, April 17, 2016

Jungle Holocaust (1977)

Original title: Ultimo Mondo Cannibale

Director: Ruggero Deodato

Writers: Tito Capri, Gianfranco Clerici, Renzo Genta, Giorgio Carlo Rossi

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Can this modern man survive in a Stone Age world?

Plot: An oil prospector escapes from capture by a primitive cannibal tribe in the Philippine rain forest and heads out to locate his missing companion and their plane to return home.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

Over the past twenty years I've seen very little of the cannibal genre that the Italians had such a good time with.  After seeing THE GREEN INFERNO (2013) last year in the theater and being very disappointed, I was lucky enough to find a mess of cannibal flicks on DVD on the super, stupid cheap.  I'm slowly getting around to them and I'm having a good time, even with the not-so-good ones.  I expected something different than what this delivered.  It has the prerequisites of A) cannibalism, B) nudity and C) (my favorite) jungle fuckery.   I'm happy.  Kills?  Yeah.  Somewhat on the fucked up side?  Yeah.   Still happy.  It's actually pretty good and the story works well.  What's wilder is that the guy who gets captured and escapes to survive in the jungle is completely naked for most of the picture.  That opens up a whole other level of crazy as now I start to think of how fucked up of a situation that would be and how would I handle it if I were in that position.  It's wild, man.  Plus it makes the film more plausible.  It's not like he's going to find some slacks lying around the cave.  It'd almost be kind of fun if it weren't for everything that lives in the jungle seemingly designed to kill you.  The ending isn't surprising but it doesn't have to.  It's the journey that counts and boy does this fella go through some shit.  The only issue I have is the inclusion of two or three scenes of animals being killed on screen either by humans or each other for the sake of entertainment.  It disgusts me and I have to fast forward through that shit.  I can handle just about anything but that.  That's one downside to this genre in that you'll almost always see it, even if it's re-used footage from another cannibal film (which they did that shit all the time back then).  I noticed that this DVD sells for good dollars on ebay and I'm torn between making a tidy profit or keeping it as I know I'll watch it again in a few years.  White man's burden, Lloyd, white man's burden.





No comments:

Post a Comment