Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)


Director: Renny Harlin

Starring: Geena Davis, Samuel L. Jackson, Yvonne Zima, Craig Bierko, Tom Amandes, Brian Cox, G.D. Spradlin

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Eight years ago she lost her memory. Now, a detective must help her remember the past before it buries them both. What's forgotten is not always gone.

Plot: Samantha Caine, suburban homemaker, is the ideal mom to her 8 year old daughter Caitlin. She lives in Honesdale, PA, has a job teaching school and makes the best Rice Krispie treats in town. But when she receives a bump on her head, she begins to remember small parts of her previous life as a lethal, top-secret agent. Her old chums in the Chapter are now out to kill her so she enlists the help of a cheap detective named Mitch. As Samantha remembers more and more of her previous life, she becomes deadlier and more resourceful.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

After hearing time and time again from just about everyone how great this movie was I figured it was time got around to watching. I'm not the biggest fan of Renny Harlin. CUTTHROAT ISLAND (1995) killed it for me (also starring Gena Davis). What a stinker. It was seriously that movie that kept me from watching anything else he did. This one wasn't so bad. I liked Davis's transition from innocent to killer. I was impressed. She was great and Sammy Jackson was great, too (as always...almost - I can't shake his suckiness in the Star Wars prequels). I was riding along with the picture nicely until the last 20 minutes where it got more and more ridiculous - that stupid Hollywood over-the-top action ridiculous. They were doing so well and then it gets nutty. Overall, though, it's not that bad but not as good as it could have and should have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment