Sunday, August 12, 2012

Eddie Izzard: Definite Article (1996)


Director: Ed Bye

Starring: Eddie Izzard

More info: IMDb

Plot: Charismatic, cross dressing comedian Eddie Izzard appeared live at the Shaftebury Theater in his native England in 1996; his irreverent humor is present in full force during this recorded performance. The routine touches upon the varying topics of fashion, James Bond, Noah, and doggy-style sex, all in his characteristically diassociated delivery.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Nope.

I've tried to get into Izzard's stand-up but I just can't and I've seen A LOT of his work. I like his acting and his persona but I don't find 98% of his jokes/bits funny. This concert is 12 minutes shy of two hours and I laughed out loud once (the James Bond routine was pretty damn funny) and smiled a couple of times. That's not much for such a long show. Hell, I even watched the near-hour featurette on the DVD that goes into his world tour. He actually did his show in French while performing in France. I'm impressed. It's ballsy, I'll give him that. I really want to be among the legions of fans of his stand-up but I can't let myself be counted among them based on this performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment