Friday, May 4, 2012

Denis Leary: No Cure for Cancer (1992)


Director: Ted Demme

Starring: Denis Leary

More info: IMDb

Plot: Ticked off comic Denis Leary talks honestly about subjects ranging from smoking, red meat, drugs, his family, rehab, and yes, cancer.



My rating: 3/10

Will I watch it again? No. I laughed once.

#3 on Stand-up Comedy Month, May 2012

The set starts out with his infectious song, "Asshole", and then goes to his very fast, gravelly-voiced, angry, Robin-Williams-coked-up-1970s-energetic routine. He barely takes a breath until the end where he gets a little sombre talking about the death of his father and then it picks up, ending with a very obnoxious song. I really like Asshole. It's a fun tune. I really like Leary as a personality and actor. However, I did not like his stand-up. There's another of his concerts on the DVD, LOCK N' LOAD, to get through. I can only hope it's better. I don't recall ever hearing any of his routines before. It's a remarkable thing, though, that he's able to maintain that level of energy for that long without fucking up. He's easily one of (if not THE) faster-speaking comics and for just over an hour, that's a shitload of routine to spew out.

No comments:

Post a Comment