Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You for the Last Time (1998)


Director: Marty Callner

Starring: Jerry Seinfeld

More info: IMDb

Plot: Live from New York City, Jerry Seinfeld, aided and abetted by a host of friends and fellow comedians, performs his 1998 Emmy-nominated performance on Broadway.



My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah.

#11 on Stand-up Comedy Month, May 2012

I caught Seinfeld's act in New Orleans probably around '93. He puts on a great show. There are several bits in this concert that I heard earlier but they're still funny. He's a pro. No doubt about that. He's the essence that was stand-up comedy in the 1980s. His bits are polished to perfection and his use of expressions and body movement accentuate the jokes. The business at the beginning, the funeral, had me in stitches. It's brilliant. I'm a fan of every one of those comedians, especially Shandling, Larry Miller and George Wallace. I could watch their stuff for days. The only thing I found 'not great' about this is how abrupt Seinfeld's concert ended. He didn't cap it with a callback or a definitive gut buster. It just ended. Despite that, I still dig it and I'll come back to it although I will miss "who are these people?" and "I mean, hey! Who are the ad wizards that came up with that one?" and "what's the deal?".

No comments:

Post a Comment