Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity (2007)


Director: Michael Simon

Starring: Jeff Dunham

More info: IMDb

Plot: Washington, D.C.'s historic Warner Theater is the stage for this sold-out performance by ventriloquist virtuoso Jeff Dunham and his host of hilarious characters, known collectively as the "suitcase posse." Joining regular posse members such as Peanut, Walter, Sweet Daddy Dee, Jose JalapeƱo and Bubba J are Dunham's newest character creations, Achmed the Dead Terrorist and Melvin the Superhero.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah, but I am keen to see his other work.

#12 on Stand-up Comedy Month, May 2012

I loves me some good ventriloquist acts. I have ever since I was a little kid back in the 70s. There was some ventriloquist special around '79 or '80 that featured a whole bunch of greats like Edgar Bergen and a bunch of great talent that I've forgotten about since it was over 30 years ago and I haven't seen it since (I'd be much obliged if anyone can tell me what the name of that special was so I can locate it). Dunham starts out with about 20 minutes of stand-up which is pretty funny before moving onto his many puppet characters. My favorite is probably Achmed because he's the edgiest and non politically correct. My least favorite was Melvin. I don't think I laughed once during that bit. Nobody does stupid dummies better than Bergen's but that's not why I didn't like Melvin. I just didn't find him funny. Everything else was great, though. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment