Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)


Director: Jason Eisener

Starring: Rutger Hauer, Pasha Ebrahimi, Robb Wells, Brian Downey

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Delivering justice, one shell at a time...

Plot: A vigilante homeless man pulls into a new city and finds himself trapped in urban chaos, a city where crime rules and where the city's crime boss reigns. Seeing an urban landscape filled with armed robbers, corrupt cops, abused prostitutes and even a pedophile Santa, the Hobo goes about bringing justice to the city the best way he knows how - with a 20-gauge shotgun. Mayhem ensues when he tries to make things better for the future generation. Street justice will indeed prevail.



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? Noooooo.

Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino had a contest for the best fake trailer while they were making GRINDHOUSE (2007) and this one won.



That's a great retro 70s grindhouse trailer! I guess the prize was you got to make your movie. Well, here it is and with the awesome Rutger Hauer as the lead! Man, I was stoked. That trailer + Rutger Hauer = FUCKING AMAZING. That's what I thought until I watched it last night. Hauer is easily the best thing about it and there's not much else to like other than a few laughs and lots of gore. I was hoping they would go for a 70s looking film like the original trailer but instead it's a glossy, overly colorful (most scenes are predominantly bright blue, green, red or yellow and it's annoying as hell) and it looks like a straight to video release. The acting by the gang boss and his kids/minions is horrible. I didn't hate this flick but I sure didn't find much to like. It's partially my fault for getting my hopes up that this could have been as fun as the original trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment