Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tremors (1990)


Director: Ron Underwood

Starring: Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Finn Carter, Michael Gross, Reba McEntire

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: The monster movie that breaks new ground.

Plot: Natives of a small isolated Arizona desert town, defend themselves against strange underground creatures which are killing them one by one.



My Rating: 8.5/10

Would I watch it again? Yup.


I love this movie! I've seen it a few times over the years and it, along with REMO WILLIAMS, solidified my love for Fred Ward's work. He's hysterical and, despite his 84 film & TV credits, he hasn't done enough. He's one of those few actors I like enough to want in every movie ever made.


That said, TREMORS is a fantastic horror/comedy throwback to the sci-fi/horror films of the 1950s. The difference here is they've got a budget to include really good effects and a very good and effective score (Ernest Troost) that plays it serious.


Bacon and the others do a fine job but it's Fred Ward, Michael Gross and Reba McEntire that steal the show, ESPECIALLY McEntire. She's a gas. At one point she could have had my babies.


Though I haven't seen the sequels (there are 3 after this and a short-lived TV show) I will give them a shot. Ward's back in #2 along with Gross who's also in 3 & 4 (which also has Billy Drago). There's no way they can top the first one but they may offer something a lot of films of this type don't...fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment