Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Hidden (1987)


Director: Jack Sholder

Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Nouri, Claudia Christian and a ton of faces you'll recognize with names you won't.

More Info: IMDB

Tagline: It killed 37 people, robbed 6 banks, 2 liquor stores, a record shop and stole 2 ferraris. Now the fun starts. It just took over a police station.

Plot: Diligent Los Angeles detective Tom Beck (Michael Nouri) tracks down and arrests a stockbroker who has inexplicably turned into a serial killer in this tongue-in-cheek, sci-fi thriller. Assuming the case is closed, Beck is surprised when mysterious FBI Agent Lloyd Gallagher (Kyle MacLachlan) arrives and wants to continue the investigation. But it appears that the perpetrator isn't quite what he seems to be ... nor is Gallagher!


My Rating: 8.5/10

Would I watch it again? Hell, YEAH!

#228 on Drive-In Delirium Volume 2 (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


This is one of my favorite movies of the 80s. It's fucking fantastic! Yet, surprisingly, there are A LOT of people out there who've never even heard of it. It's shameful 'cause THE HIDDEN is a balls-out great ride.


Doctor: Detective Beck. No one deserves to die like that. I don't care what the man's done.

Cliff Willis: He killed twelve people, wounded twenty three more, stole six cars, most of them Ferraris. Robbed eight banks, six supermarkets, four jewelery stores and a candy shop. Six of the ones he killed he carved up with a butcher knife. Two of them were kids. He did all that in two weeks. If anyone deserves to go that way, it sure in the hell was him!

What you've got is a detective story with a unique twist. Everything about this picture works; the acting, story, pacing, special effects (although minimal, they work) and the humor. That's what I like most is how much black humor is in it. If there's anything I would change, though, it'd be the hit-and-miss electronic score by Michael Convertino. It only sometimes works well. But outside of that you've got a fantastic movie that you've probably never seen.


One thing they nailed is the casting. MacLachlan plays his part minimally but with a lot of subtle nuances that really bring the character out. Nouri does a great job, too, and the chemistry between these two is great fun.

Tom Beck: I'll cover you.
Lloyd Gallagher: I'd be safer if you didn't.
Tom Beck: Fine, I won't cover you.
Lloyd Gallagher: Alright, cover me.
Tom Beck: Do you want me to fucking cover you or not?
Lloyd Gallagher: I need you to cover me.
Tom Beck: Fine. I'll cover you.

But the best part goes to all of the actors who play the bad alien with a penchant for heavy metal music, VERY fast cars, killing lots of innocent people and generally doing things that are socially unacceptable - from the start of the film to the end, they're all outstanding and hilarious. Here's just a few. I'm not going to show the last two or three (in the movie) as they would spoil the fun, even though you kind of know who it's going to be a couple of minutes before it happens.

"I want this car."


If the opening car chase doesn't grab you then you're just not going to be much fun to hang around. It's a riot. Like it and you'll love the rest of the picture. Don't let THE HIDDEN stay hidden from your DVD shelf any longer. Ahahahahahaha. Ugh.



2 comments:

  1. No comments? This is a great movie. Yes, I'm biased, and "I want that car".

    I left you a post on Torpedo Alley. Nope you saw it. True story, and perfect bookends. All the best, Keven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just now saw your comment on Torpedo Alley. I'm REALLY behind with this blog. I miss talking about movies.

    ReplyDelete