Monday, August 28, 2017

The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)

Director: Randall Wallace

Writers: Alexandre Dumas, Randall Wallace

Composer: Nick Glennie-Smith

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gerard Depardieu, Gabriel Byrne, Anne Parillaud, Judith Godreche, Edward Atterton, Peter Sarsgaard, Hugh Laurie, David Lowe, Brigitte Boucher

More info: IMDb

Tagline: For the honor of a king. And the destiny of a country. All for one.

Plot: The cruel King Louis XIV of France has a secret twin brother who he keeps imprisoned. Can the twin be substituted for the real king?



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I hate to say it but this is the first version of this story that I've seen.  I really should hit the earlier versions.  This one, though, was better than I expected.  It was fun.  The cast does a fine job, the pacing is good and the movie looks great.  I liked it well enough but I feel like seeing it once was enough.  At the very least it's got me anxious to see some of the more popular, earlier versions going back to the Douglas Fairbanks 1929 picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment